Why spot and safely remove moulds in your homes?
Experts say Australians do not realise how dangerous moulds can become if present in their homes. Even short-term exposure to the spores can cause significant health problems. If you're a homeowner, spotting moulds early on can help you address the issue quickly before it gets out of hand. A clean and damp-free environment deters mould growth making your house a safe, healthy, and pleasant place to live.
Every home is a potential breeding ground for moulds
Moulds grow both indoors and outdoors. They thrive best in damp, warm, and humid conditions - like sub-tropical climate of Queensland. A common sign of mould presence is a musty or mildew smell. Check under sinks, showers, garages, and the laundry room where water may be present. Poorly insulated and ventilated rooms can be vulnerable to moulds, and homes that have been damaged by floods are also at risk. Inspect walls, floors, carpets, furniture, and other fabrics for infestations. Moulds that are not visible may be hidden behind a wall, air-con ducts or other covered places.
The health dangers of moulds
Not all moulds are toxic. However, if they are not removed, they can quickly become health hazards. People who have allergies can react to the presence of moulds. Those with immune system disorders and people who suffer from respiratory and lung problems may get serious infections. Mould exposure affects healthy children and adults, causing upper respiratory symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Other symptoms include headaches, fatigue, weakness, and eye problems. Evidence suggests that the presence of mould increases asthma in children, and there is a causal link between early exposure to mould and asthma in some kids.
Mould control and prevention at home
Moisture and nutrients are the two things that mould needs to grow. The key to mould prevention is to reduce dampness at home. Proper ventilation including the use of fans and opening windows, and reducing humidity indoors are key to mould prevention. Repair leaks and all plumbing problems. Clean up and dry water-damaged carpets or furniture immediately. If they cannot be dried and cleaned properly, discard them to avoid mould growth.
Preventing moulds from thriving in your home is the ideal strategy for a healthy indoor environment. If this is not possible, mould should be removed immediately once spotted to avoid its ill effects on the health. The services of an occupational hygienist can also be hired for mould testing if you suspect mould, but cannot trace its origin.